Tuesday, October 27, 2009

Greenie Talk‏ (from the pres)

Dear Parents and Families,

Greetings from Oklahoma. I was not even close to a computer last week so I didn't write a message. It will be like that some weeks. We had Zone Conferences last week and also have been interviewing missionaries for almost two weeks. That means we have seen each and every missionary in the mission. The missionaries are doing pretty well at being healthy. We hope it continues.

It is always renewing to meet for Zone Conferences. There is strength in numbers. It is good to be around fellow missionaries who have testimonies that are strong enough to be willing to do this work. It feels like safety from the storm. President Gee reminded them again how important it is to take time to listen for instructions from the Spirit about where to go and who to talk to. He did a review of Elder Scott's conference address on receiving personal revelation. Stake Presidents (or a counselor) were our guests in each Zone Conference and it is always good to receive their insights. We studied the focus doctrine of obedience and agency. There were practices on teaching the First Vision and other topics. As always there were delicious lunches prepared by wonderful Relief Society sisters, some of whom have missionaries serving at this time. We always sing "Armies of Helaman" as a thanks to them for taking care of us. Many of them wipe tears from their eyes as they see a room full of missionaries who remind them of their children. President Gee always calls on a few to share their testimonies and to give a talk on the focus doctrine. We seem to share a few laughs as we go along. After it is over the missionaries really would like to "linger longer" which they do for a little while. Then they are off to resume their work.

As President Gee interviews I visit with the missionaries who are waiting. I love to listen to them chatter away. Sometimes I learn something that I can pass along to my husband or to the parents. One thing I have picked up is that often parents do a count down of how much longer their missionary has to serve. (I did the same thing with my children.) When we arrived in the Oklahoma City Mission I realized that part of the mission culture is to try not to speak about going home and how much times is left. It makes it easier to concentrate on the work and to not get homesick. I would suggest that you can do countdowns at home on calendars and with the family, but you will help your missionary the most if you don't include them in the countdown, especially when the end is getting near. It is hard not to get "trunky." I hope that little bit of information is helpful.

I love these missionaries. It is fun to watch them grow from scared newcomers to confident and polished missionaries. I thought you might enjoy a little description of what it is like to learn to talk to perfect strangers about a message that fills our lives to the brim but is very different to the people out here. I call it "Miracles and Greenies."

The touching, tender, heart-warming, and sometimes humorous reality is that the Lord truly uses the weak and unlearned to "thrash the nations by the power of his Spirit." D.&C. 35:13. Even after months of experience this is true, but it is especially true of "greenies." Usually they have been primed and prepared for years, but suddenly having to get it out of their mouths in a logical way is at least humbling, and sometimes humiliating, depending on the day. To quote one trainer, "My companion taught all gospel principles in 30 seconds, learving me to say in my mind, 'Oh, no! What do we do now?" I hope you can see the humor!


It might sound something like this:

We are missionaries from our church and we have a message about Jesus Christ. It will bless your family and it has really blessed mine because we have a living prophet, Thomas S. Monson, and we meet every six months in general conference because Joseph Smith saw a vision in New York and was called as a prophet. So here is a Book of Mormon to witness it is true and you will know it is if you pray about it. So would you like to know more? (Possible slamming of the door.)
If they say "yes" the missionaries try to hide their surprise and go forward to teach.
The miracle is that the trainer I quoted above and her companion baptized the woman who was at the door.

In Doctrine and Covenants 35:14 the Lord says: "And their arm shall be my arm and I will be their shield and their buckler; and I will gird up their loins, and they shall fight manfully for me."
That is what your sons, (and even your daughters and parents) are doing out here. They are fighting manfully for the Lord. We are proud of them and we know you are also. We hope you have a great week.
Love, Sister Gee (and President Gee)

No comments: