Friday, May 8, 2009

baptism push‏




Dear Family,




Thanks for the Sweedish Fish! I don't remember if I told you already, but my companion and I have been enjoying that bag of enjoyment. A little about the pictures- Elder Lewis and myself. We stopped by last week because he's getting transfered out of my district and heading to Enid and in return Elder Whitaker is coming to my district. Sad to loose a great Elder, but we are getting one in return, so its not too bad. I've been around Elder Whitaker before when I would go on exchanges in Enid. The other picture is of a road we needed to cross, but the weather thought otherwise. It wasn't real deep, but we decided to turn and find another way. If we were on bikes I would have loved to go through it, but the church's car is a no go. This week was nice...and wet! It puts a little damper on the work, but its still been a good week for us. Max's anxieties got the best of him, so he didn't make it to church again and we're going to push his baptism date back a few weeks so he can overcome his fear. Last week his phone was stolen and we couldn't get ahold of him to come by and teach, so we just dropped in on him and he was happy to see us and hoping we would come by. He's doing great in building a testimony, but just needs to overcome his anxieties of people and get some courage to come to church.Elder McKinzie and I had some funny guy get mad at us for inviting him to church Sunday morning at 11 am. He came to the door and as he opened it he said in a grumbly voice, "WHAT COULD YOU POSSIBLY WANT!" (yes, exclamation, not question) At least that's what I would have to assume seeing as he wouldn't let us answer with what we wanted. He just blabbered on, telling us to get lost until we left. Ha! So, many oddly people. Yesterday, on exchanges, we had some funny experiences while tracting. I went to the Village Ward with Elder Williams, who came out with me. One door we asked him if he had ever heard of the church before and his response was, "have you heard of Baptist? I'm saved and that's all I need! Nice to meet you and have a good day." I gues we chose the wrong opening line, but that's okay because the next door the woman answered and told us the woman of the house isn't home, so we asked her if she lived there and she said yes. ...uh, okay. So, we talked to her for a while and she wasn't too interested so we asked her if she knew of any of her nieghbors that we could visit. She paused then came outside and started telling us all about her neighbors and some were in wheelchairs and some go to church and...on and on. Then out of nowhere she says, "am I hearing voices?" A couple houses down there were some people outside talking and she got a concerned look that she was going crazy. Anyway, that street didn't have much fruit on it at the time. We also went to see a less-active and he wasn't there, but his son was and before we started talking to him he told us to never go to Wyoming...it sucks. He went on and on about how he doesn't like Wyoming with colorful language...then Elder Williams laughs and says, "I'm from Wyoming." The son's reply was, "that sucks, man!"But, later in the day we got a random call from a girl who has a mormon friend and had been taught a long time ago somewhere else and felt the need to find the missionaries, she did a lot of searching, and find out what she needed to do to get baptized...that's just about one of our favorite kind of calls! That was good. We also got a referal for a couple I was teaching with Elder Medina in Guthrie who had moved to the Village ward boundaries, so I got to go see them before the exchange ended. Lots and lots of good on the exchange!Things are really good!Well, I've got to be headed. Love you! Thanks for the update Roger!




-Elder Osness

No comments: