Thursday, May 14, 2009

Good Call‏







Dear Family,






The pictures: Temple last week. The sister missionaries from Norman decided to come the same day. and my new addition to my mission posterity, Elder Hamner. I have a really good line. Good missionaries.We had a good Zone conference. I don't know what to say really. I just got off the phone a couple days ago. I'm glad I got to talk to everyone. I've feel kind of nervous to call every time, but then we talk and its good to hear the voices of those I love. It really is crazy how fast time goes by and it feels like nothing is any more different than if it was just a month or so, or at least that's how long I feel like I've been away. Oh yes, I mentioned the strange things people say here. Maybe I'll send a quote or two home every week. Yesterday, while teaching a guy in his driveway he flipped out on us. We must have hit a time limit or something because this guy was really nice then all the sudden we mention that the bible was written by God's servants long ago and we have more prophets and apostles now, and he became very angry with us and started telling us we're preaching atheism...okay. So we explained that God loves us and wants to give us direction in life and he just continued on his run with "you're preachin' atheism. no, I believe in the bible! You're preaching atheism!" Needless to say, that lesson went nowhere after that. I really think many people in Oklahoma are more robotic than people think missionaries are. Almost everyone gives us the same reply when we talk about Joseph, the Book of Mormon, or church and family. "Nah, I don't believe in that John Smith fella'." "The bible says, do not add to or take away. You're trying to add to." "Oh, I've got a church." or better yet "Sorry, I'm not a mormon." Uh, okay. That's obvious...and why we're here. Here's a really good one. Imagine somebody cleaning up after a garage sale and us walking up to help out. "Can we give you a hand?" "No, we don't have time right now." Who doesn't have time for help. Its like we speak a foreign language or something because people don't know how to respond or hold a conversation. But, every once and a while you get people open and nice. Yesterday we had interviews with the mission president and he asked me what I would like to do in my mission, so I told him that he's welcome to take me out of leadership and just train, so he's working on getting me in a position where that will work. President Gee is great! He really trusts my judgement and is okay with giving me my wants...after giving me some needs. Leadership is great for the personal growth it builds, but I just like to focus on my area and be of some help one on one, so trainer is what I would like. I've gained a lot of experience these past 16 months and a lot of lifetime understanding through my diferent callings on the mission.I love you all! Oh, and for my birthday I really don't need anything. letters and pictures is all that is real exciting out here...and beside I'll be home for Christmas. I'll be able to use...other things then...;)






Love you! -Elder Osness

No comments: